Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Find us on Linked In Vist Our Blog
Frequently Asked Questions
If you would like more information about this issue, or any other family law matter,
please contact us for an initial free, no obligation consultation.

As an unmarried dad, what rights do I have over my children?

The rights and duties which parents have over their children are called ‘parental responsibility’.  On a day to day basis, having parental responsibility means you should be involved in major decisions about how your child is brought up.  This includes things like choosing how and where they are educated, getting them medical treatment and having a guaranteed say in things like a change of surname or moving abroad.

The rules about parental responsibility are different for unmarried dads but some changes have been made to try to bring things more into line with married dads. However, even with these changes, your position will depend on when your child was born and your circumstances.

If you are not sure where you stand and would like advice about your position, please call Celia or Samantha on 01752 222211 to arrange your free, no obligation consultation.

< back to menu

Get In Touch
Email :
Summary of enquiry:


Contact Us

9 The Crescent

01752 222211
C&C Family Law Ltd. is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority; SRA no. 449270
© C&C Family Law. All rights reserved. Site by April Media Productions